About Me

My photo
Mother of 2, Child of God in DMV "They always ask me if I make it am I going to forget about them, but the question is, if I don't make it will they forget about me?" My spin : RealTalk When u are up everyone wants to hang on, but look for the ones that let you lean on when you are down. Remember...don't just look for me when I am up, support me when I'm down. ♥ In prosperity, your friends know you, in adversity, you know your friends. I asked God for strength, I got adversity. I asked God for wisdom, I was made a fool of. I asked for patience, I had a difficult relationship. I looked back, He gave me what I asked for. Adversity showed me I was stronger than I thought; being a fool opened my eyes to discernment making me wise; the difficult relationship showed me that patience is earned not given. Blessings come in many forms, not all of them recognizable.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Package

Happy Holidays to you all!  I was just reading some FB status updates.  I realize alot of people forget the real reason for the season.  I was like that too.  Until last year. Last year I had a fire in my house and I spent the Christmas season in a hotel.  I started examining how I looked at Christmas.  It then hit me, I wanna tell you about The Package.

It's only human nature to look at the package something comes in first. Have you ever been in the store, picked up a product, decided to buy it only to put it down and look for one in the most attractive package? Really, like one with the least amount of dings on the box. You even try to find one that looks like it hasn't been opened. Often, after going through the ritual, I have gotten my package home only to discover it was STILL DEFECTIVE even in the best package.

One day, I decided I needed this product but there was only one on the shelf. The package was faded, the label was peeling and it was crushed on one side. The package was so damaged, it was marked down substantially. If I had a choice, I would have put that well-worned box down and chosen another box. When I got my purchase home, I took it out of the package to make sure that the contents weren't damaged. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find that not only was it not damaged, it was in better shape than the display item. Sure the box was tattered and torn but the inside was PERFECT.

That leads me to us, as a people. All too often we don't forge a friendship or relationship with someone based on the package. Not saying we shouldn't have standards, but if you keep looking for the same type of package and keep getting damaged contents, maybe you should rethink your strategy. Over the last few years, I have examined the content of a persons character more than the package that encases it. More importantly, I have examined my own contents.

I'm not perfect. I know it is hard to believe *snicker* that I am not perfect, but what I am is forgiven. I try to think good thoughts, but I am not always successful. I try to be helpful, but at times I am selfish with my time. I try not to worry, especially if I have given it to God, but the human side wonders not if it is going to happen but when. I try to do things with a cheerful heart, but at times the human me says "You aren't appreciated so why bother." I try to be nice to those who are not-so-nice to me ~ this one is a real challenge for me. Why? Because I was a cut-chu-off-with-the-quickness person. I have to struggle daily with this one because I remember it was not so long ago that when I lumped you in the I-ain't-fooling-with-them-she (or he)-better-not-ask-me-nothing category, well that was it. For real. It was so bad that if I saw them standing by the curb in the rain waiting for a bus, not only would I zoom by, but I would try my best to hit a puddle and send a little splash their way.

Folks look at my package and think "Wow, she's got it all together." No, I don't. But I just wanted to say that even when everyone (including you and me) thinks that you got it all together, all figured out, God has a way of showing you that you are still under construction. I know that the construction dust on this side prepares me for the perfected package in eternity. Stop working on your package and make sure your contents are in order.


Proverbs 3: 5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

I'm standing on this promise that He will show me where to go.

Merry Christmas, Everyone.

2 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

I've been working all year on my contents, well even longer than that while i believe i also didn't care much about the outside of me...somehow i feel there should be balance now, so off to work on bringing that beautiful gurl to light. Good post.

Newy said...

Thanks Miz!! I have been working on me and know that I can't do it without Him. I do know one thing...I'm not done till I'm dead...Some folks say that are seeking their mission in life...constantly seeing if they have finished their purpose. Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.